[PD] Clarification - Not Pd-extended

lists.puredata.info at cefn.com lists.puredata.info at cefn.com
Fri Jan 20 03:07:41 CET 2006

To clarify, I followed the part of the instructions found at http://
puredata.info/docs/developer/darwin to install the right version of
TclTkAqua.  I didn't follow these instructions to install pd-
extended, as I couldn't find a version which would build for my
platform.

For the benefit of the list, here is the extract from the page http://
cefn.com/curiosity/?page_id=147 which clarifies the sequence.

The wellspring for pd, the guy in charge of the pd core, is Miller
Puckette. The latest releases of pd code can be found at the less
than memorable URL http://www.crca.ucsd.edu/~msp/software.html.

This is where I picked up the source for pd v0.39-2. Version 0.39 or
above was required for compatibility with my version of Mac OS X
(10.4 Tiger). The pd-extended releases were too old and didn’t help.

Pd depends on TclTk for windowing, which is available for the Mac
from the TclTkAqua sourceforge site. Version 8.4.9 was the last
version which is verified to work with pd. I didn’t try the more
recent one.

Building Miller Puckette’s pd v0.39-2 then gave me a minimal
installation of pd, so finally I ran
./pd
and it worked, but complained that gem and pmpd weren’t there
(because they are not by default part of pd).

N.B. This minimal installation doesn’t have all the libraries built
into it that exist in the pd-extended distribution. You have to get
them yourself.

[continues ...]