[PD] Re: Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7 & cyclone

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Jan 22 04:41:41 CET 2006

On Jan 21, 2006, at 7:11 PM, Tim Blechmann wrote:

>>> i just saw, that the cyclone folder under windows contains about
>>> 114 mb of externals ... is this intended?
>>
>> For cyclone, I just used Kzrysztof's build system, since its quite
>> complex.  On MinGW, its probably not getting strip'ed, that's my
>> guess why they are large.  gcc will link in the .dlls, making the
>> files huge. strip will remove the unnecessary stuff.
>
> i'm not familiar with kzrysztof's build system for windoze, but all the
> externals are about 765kb ...
> my linux libs hammer and sickle are about 800kb (compiled with icc), so
> my wild guess is, that the dlls contain the code for _all_ objects, but
> just export the specific loader function for the single external ...
>
> maybe you have to tell strip, what's unnecessary ;-)

It sounds like cyclone is being statically linked with pd.dll.  It was
happening with Pd-extended until I figured out the strip thing, each
object was about that size. Ah yes, I remember now, MinGW statically
links in the DLL because of the thing about DLLs not being able to link
to each other.  I think its a trick to get around some more arbitrary
Microsoft restrictions.

This is what is currently be used on Pd-extended:
     STRIP = strip --strip-unneeded -R .note -R .comment

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!