[PD] replace character with or create a symbol ',' or ' '

Urs Liska pd at ursliska.de
Sun Jan 22 21:38:36 CET 2006

Hi list,

I'm stuck with a 'string' problem which might be easy but I don't see
how to solve it...

I have to replace certain characters in a symbol with ',' (comma) or ' '
(space).
Or I have to create independent symbols ',' or ' ', but [symbol ,] or
[symbol ,( don't work (same with space).

Would be glad about any hints.

OTOH, maybe I could prevent getting into this problem at all (but don't
know how): I'm reading lists into a [textfile]. These lists consist of
pairs of characters and corresponding ASCII values, like:
a 65 c 67 e 69
First I replaced spaces with '_' because I can't write
a 65   32 e 69 (I think Pd would just ignore the extra spaces)
Then I replaced ',' with another character because Pd obviously
interpreted the comma as a line ending character (although I [read ... cr( )
So I have to reconvert these characters within Pd.

If I had a possibility to have the original characters directly my life
would be much easier...

Thanks for any help
Urs

--