32bit chroot (was Re: [PD] PiDiP on Athon64?)

John Harrison john.harrison at wichita.edu
Mon Jan 23 07:31:47 CET 2006

I guess what I was really wondering is if there are libraries (like MMX
or whatever) which the PiDiP code uses and are available only for the
Intel chips and not the AMD. I'm not super up on the nuts and bolts but
I thought I had recalled that AMD and Intel had non-compatible
multimedia extensions (as of something like 5 years ago...maybe things
have changed) and I just wanted to make sure I'll get reasonable
performance on the AMD, or if PiDiP is tailored to Intel-specific
architecture. This is all because I saw that statement about IA-32 on
effectv and it made me nervous.

I don't know if I am hard core enough to go 64 bit OS...unless somebody
tells me the performance will skyrocket...but I've made a note of this
Debian link.

Thanks for the help,

-John