[PD] Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7 & cyclone

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Mon Jan 23 21:21:28 CET 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> I am curious: what's the size of the smallest possible external on
> win32 ?
>
>E.g. arraysize.pd_linux is 1.4k, or 3.2k in debug mode, but I notice that
>Framestein came with a 36k arraysize.dll (compiled june 2002). Is that the
>normal minimal size of externals on win32 ?
>
>and then how much RAM do they take once loaded? e.g. on Linux the RAM it's
>reported (by /proc/$$/maps) to take is 8k (plus one filehandle), that is
>the file rounded up to multiple of 4k, plus a table of pointers for
>connecting the .so to the rest of the process, which is 4k for small
>externals. Is there a way to figure out that value on Windows?

In recent versions you can always do ctrl-alt-delete and select the
Processes tab in the resulting dialog.
Then run pd and watch its memory usage change as you add externals to a
patcher. One thing I noticed while doing this is that pd (or is it the
OS?) doesn't free memory when objects are deleted from a patch.

Martin