[PD] compiling external examples in VS.net

Martin Peach martinrp at vax2.concordia.ca
Wed Jan 25 19:37:33 CET 2006

G Quested wrote:

> On Wed, 25 Jan 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>> G Quested wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>> I am trying to compile and run the example externals bundled with Pd
>>> 39.1 (the pre-compiled for windows version).
>>>
>>> I can compile the obj1.c file and create a dll which i place in the
>>> extras directory but Pd doesn't like it:
>>> load_object: Symbol "obj1_setup" not found
>>> obj1
>>> ... could not create
>>>
>>> I exported obj1_setup using __declspec(dllexport)
>>

>> all my knowledge is vc6-based, so i might talk nonsense.
>> however, i think you also have to tell the linker that you want to
>> export the setup-function via the "/export:obj1_setup" flag. (i think
>> that "__declspec(dllexport)" is just for the compiler)
>>
> Thanks for the replies.
> I tried adding /export:obj1_setup to the command line section of the
> project->properties->linker but has made no difference. I also tried
> using a .def file but this hasn't helped.
>
> I'm not too familiar with Visual Studio. Is their a tool to inspect the
> dll's symbol table. At least then i will know the dll is ok. I will
> try to find a machine with VS6 and compile the code there to see if
> that sorts it out.
>
> That wont solve my problem as i need to be able to compile on VS.net for
> the thing I'm working on :-(

I've never needed to use any /export flag. I'm using Visual C++ 2005
Express Edition Beta (because it was free as in beer), which looks like
a limited version of VS8.
If the project is set up to make a dll, I think the only other thing to
check is that you have MSW defined somewhere before you include m_pd.h,
because VS defines _MSC_VER_ and _WIN32, but not MSW or NT.

Martin