[PD] Pd compiling

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Fri Jan 27 19:55:45 CET 2006

Mathieu Bouchard wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>
>>Steve Peach wrote:
>>
>>>In Max/MSP you can save (compile) your patches into various plug-ins
>>>or applications. I was wondering can this be done in Pd (which is what
>>>I use at home) If it can , could someone let me know please, it would
>>>be MUCH!!! appreciated
>>
>>it cannot be done. why should it? (the reason for max/msp to offer this
>>possibility is in its proprietary nature. for pd this is not necessary:
>>just give away your patches + pd)
>

> The problem is that just giving away a working pd that will continue to
> work on the target computer is not always easy.
>
> Does Pd have any "static-linked" version or otherwise self-contained? If
> externals have dependencies, is there anything that can copy those
> dependencies inside of a directory that can easily by zipped and shipped?

since i am no max-user i might talk nonsense here: but i don't think
that a compiled max-patch is totally self-contained (i mean: it lacks
the dependency on max; but what else?)

if you want to make sure that you have "everything" at hand, i would
suggest to put your patch + pd + all externals + all secondary libraries
  onto a linux live-cd (based on pure::dyne or knoppix or whatever you
want).

this way you only need a computer which is able to put from CDrom.

i don't know whether it is possible to make CDroms that are bootable for
several architectures (like i386 AND PowerPC).
however, i daresay that max/msp-"binaries" are not cross-platform either.
the only cross-platform way would be to use plain pd-patches...

> It doesn't have much to do with proprietary vs free.

it does have a lot to do with proprietary vs free.
the main reason for max/msp to offer the functionality of compiling a
patch into an executable is, that you can give away your patches to
people who do not own max/msp (and/or are not willing to pay for it)

mf.asr
IOhannes