[PD] Pd compiling

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Fri Jan 27 20:30:56 CET 2006

On Jan 27, 2006, at 1:41 PM, Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Fri, 27 Jan 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:
>> Steve Peach wrote:
>>> In Max/MSP you can save (compile) your patches into various plug-ins
>>> or applications. I was wondering can this be done in Pd (which is
>>> what
>>> I use at home) If it can , could someone let me know please, it would
>>> be MUCH!!! appreciated
>> it cannot be done. why should it? (the reason for max/msp to offer
>> this
>> possibility is in its proprietary nature. for pd this is not
>> necessary:
>> just give away your patches + pd)
>
> The problem is that just giving away a working pd that will continue to
> work on the target computer is not always easy.
>
> Does Pd have any "static-linked" version or otherwise self-contained?
> If
> externals have dependencies, is there anything that can copy those
> dependencies inside of a directory that can easily by zipped and
> shipped?
>
> It doesn't have much to do with proprietary vs free.

Pd-extended is self-contained.  That's a big motivation in the creation
of it.

But compiling Pd patches isn't purely a question of proprietary vs
free.  If Pd could be compiled, it could run on embedded systems like
mobile phones and microcontrollers.  It would be quite difficult to
make a Pd port to Microchip PIC.

Its also a question of flexibility, it would be a nice feature to have.
  But its probably not easy to implement.

____

                   ¡El pueblo unido jamás será vencido!