[PD] Pd compiling

cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Fri Jan 27 20:45:36 CET 2006

Does PDVST actually work? I could never get it to run (on Windowze XP),
has anyone ever gotten it to run successfully?

I personally think that the ability to compile PD patches would be
extremely helpful, regardless of the fact that it is open source.
Sometimes the whole open source perspective gets too focused on needs of
developers, and not on needs of musicians and composers and end users, who
might just want a cool application to play with.

I would love to build an application to share with my friends, that I
could package as a self-contained unit. If I could compile it as Audio
Unit and VST, that would be even better. Until that day, I prefer
commercial software to make things to share. It's just easier to give away
a VST, than try and get pure data installed in many cases. If it was built
with PD, then those interested could also see the source patch, but only
if they wanted to bother with that.

It personally took me months, and several version changes, until finally
Hans released the PD Extended-RC7, to get PD going with a decent amount of
externals. Well, at least now I can finally recommend it to my friends,
which I could not do when things were always broken...

~David