[PD] joysticks with hid

David Merrill dmerrill at media.mit.edu
Sat Jan 28 22:29:30 CET 2006

Hello Hans, et al -

I've got another puzzling joystick bug that's showing up today as i play
around with the [hid] object in linux (Ubuntu Hoary, kernel 2.6.10-5-686).

I am using a Microsoft "Sidewinder Dual Strike" USB joystick, and after
changing the permissions on /dev/input/event*
I can successfully peek at the output with evtest, and I can open the
device for reading with the [hid] object.

The strange behavior is that when I push the continuous
input-degree-of-freedom near one edge or another, a *button-press*
registers, but I have not pressed any button (I see this buttonpress in
both evtest, and hans' [hid] external). The continuous DOF of this
joystick has a springy region near the edges where there is some
resistance - and I get the spurious buttonpress when I cross into this
region.

I tried the same joystick in windows, and I don't get the spurious
buttonpresses. (I tested it with both the windows control panel "game
controllers" interface, and jsarlo's joystick external).

Has anyone see this kind of behavior? Any ideas why it doesn't show up
in Windows, but does in Linux? I'd be really interested to find out how
to fix something like this..

thanks,
-David Merrill