[PD] joysticks with hid

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sun Jan 29 21:47:58 CET 2006

On Sun, 29 Jan 2006, Christian Klippel wrote:

> skimming through the hid usage tables (
> http://www.usb.org/developers/devclass_docs/Hut1_12.pdf ) i see that
> there are no MISC types anyway, only a reserverd range at the end of
> most usage tables. this is generally the problem with hid names/usages:
> they thought of a lot of things, but it can never be complete since
> there are too many different (new?) devices.

You mean, they thought of a lot of hair-splitting, and now they're stuck
with continuing to be as hair-splitting as before, just for consistency.
USB/HID is an excellent example of design-by-committee. Why does
BTN_PINKIE even exist?

Why would there be a clear distinction between a "Gamepad" and a
"Joystick"? 22 years ago the name "Gamepad" didn't exist so we called our
"Gamepad" as "Joysticks", especially because those things, which were
really "Gamepads", looked like "Joysticks". I don't see that information
being useful to programs when they can instead deal with a list of axes
and buttons.