[PD] Mandlebrot Landscape Generator ?

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Mon Jan 30 06:48:36 CET 2006

On Sat, 28 Jan 2006, day 5 wrote:

> I was wondering in what ways is it possible to calculate Mandlebrot sets
> using Gem/Pd/PDP/GridFlow/etc/etc ?

In GridFlow, the technique I use is to apply a pixel-remapping repeatedly
using [#remap_image]. The big downside of it is that rounding errors will
show because pixel coördinates are always whole. However there are several
upsides, one being that it's incremental and that each increment is rather
quick to compute. Classic Julia/Mandelbrot fractals are usually computed
by repeating a formula on each point until the point gets kicked out of a
circle, and then counts how many repetitions it took. I use one repetition
per displayed frame, and the picture refines itself over time. At each
increment I can feed in something different, e.g. I may inject live video
into the fractal.

You can find out about it in gridflow/pd_examples/feedback_fractal.pd,
which was the first real GridFlow patch. (I have other more convincing
fractal patches but I've not released them.)

My technique is neither Julia nor Mandelbrot, even though it uses
the same formula f(z)=z*z+c, because it uses it in a different way.

AFAIK Ben Bogart uses the same technique and/or the same formula but with
GEM. However I haven't closely compared.