[PD] Pd compiling

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Tue Jan 31 02:26:34 CET 2006

Hallo,
cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com hat gesagt: // cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com wrote:

> I personally think that the ability to compile PD patches would be
> extremely helpful, regardless of the fact that it is open source.
> Sometimes the whole open source perspective gets too focused on needs of
> developers, and not on needs of musicians and composers and end users, who
> might just want a cool application to play with.
>
> I would love to build an application to share with my friends, that I
> could package as a self-contained unit.

Hm, I share Pd patches with people on and off this list for years now,
it never was a big problem to use patches made by someone else, so I
don't see where the problem is? Is it installing externals?
Difficulties in installing externals won't be fixed by standalone Pd
patches, it will be fixed by getting e.g. Pd-extended to run and
install easily everywhere.

Pd is free software, everyone can install it and IMO everyone
interested in sound software should have a copy installed anyway, if
just to quickly built little helper tools to convert Midi to OSC or
similar.

Ciao