[PD] GEM problem on nVidia - SOLVED tweaking the code

Cesare Marilungo cesare at poeticstudios.com
Wed Feb 1 13:31:15 CET 2006

Cesare Marilungo wrote:

> Hi,
> I've just started experimenting with GEM. I compiled Gem and pd from
> source on Slackware 10.2 with kernel 2.6.13 and the nVidia binary driver.
>
> The problem is that creating windows works just the first time. When I
> destroy it the window closes properly, but when I recreate it the
> windows remains black, and I get this infamous message in the log file:
>
> NVRM: Xid: 6, PE0002 0470 c11daf4b 000bf858 00000000 00000003
>
> I don't have any other problem using opengl on this setup, other than
> Gem.
>
> Before digging into the code myself I thought to ask here. It seems
> that the code that disposes the window fails to free some resource.
>
> Suggestions?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> c.

I can't believe anybody else is having this problem. It hangs my machine
if I mess in opening and closing Gem windows.

Anyway I solved it by adding:

glXMakeCurrent(info.dpy, None, NULL);

before calling glXDestroyContext in GemWinCreateXWin.cpp (line 240 in
gem 0.90).

Now I can destroy and recreate windows without problems. Authors, please
patch this.

c.
--
www.cesaremarilungo.com