[PD] Re: [PD-announce] A new version of FFTease is now available for Pd

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Wed Feb 1 17:36:54 CET 2006

Hallo,
Eric Lyon hat gesagt: // Eric Lyon wrote:

> The main reason I did not post the source is because it is not yet unified
> or easy to compile, and I wanted to make the externals available before
> however many months it might take for me to get the code in shape. However
> you are welcome to get the code over here (but you have to figure out how to
> compile it).

Figuring out stuff like this is what some people here specialize in. ;)

> > the homepage states (in red!): "FFTease may be used freely for any
> > artistic or research purpose."
> > which i consider to be _not_ compatible with the GPL.
> >

> I think this is probably correct; as I understand it, the GPL places some
> restrictions on what you can do with the code. I think we are a bit
> more permissive, but if there is some way that you find our "licencette"
> more restrictive, I'm willing to consider relaxing it.

The problem is, that any Open Source/Free Software by definition must
not pose any restrictions on how that software is used. So if FFTease
would *only* be allowed to be used for research and arts, but not for
any other uses (like making coffee), then FFTease would not be free
software as it violates "freedom 0": "The freedom to run the program,
for any purpose" - including making coffee.

It would be nice, if FFTease somehow coule be made to drop the
restriction on artistic andd research uses - like for example the
OSC-Kit library by Matt Wright did about a year ago.

Ciao