R&A [was: Re: [PD] Re: PD-list Digest, Vol 11, Issue 2]

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Feb 2 18:49:11 CET 2006

Hallo,
Eric Lyon hat gesagt: // Eric Lyon wrote:

> Thanks for putting it that way. Technically it doesn't prohibit you from
> making coffee or doing anything else, but I see that explicitly stating the
> things that we expect most people would do with FFTease might imply
> that you can't do other things with it. I suppose we could say "can be
> freely used for any artistic or research purpose, or anything else you
> can think of," but that sounds kind of clunky. Note we did not use the
> word *only* in the licencette - we said what you *could* do, not what
> you couldn't do.

Maybe many people in the electronic music scene still have bad
feelings when they read the words "for any artistic or research
purpose" because they get reminded of the old Csound license [1] which
led to huge flame wars etc. on the Csound lists and beyond until
Csound finally changed to be LGPL.

[1] still available here:
http://www.cs.bath.ac.uk/pub/dream/Copyrights

Ciao