[PD] dealing with arguments and inlets

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 4 00:19:39 CET 2006

Hallo,

> The way I have been thinking is that the first inlet is the general
> inlet, and it can accept many types of messages.  Then the second inlet
> lines up with the first argument, the third inlet to the second
> argument, etc.   I think this is pretty clean and flexible, and I think
> it would be nice to have some kind of standard for this.
>
> Obviously, it doesn't work for all objects, but I think it would be
> good to standardize on objects it does work for.

The RRADical patches would be an example for an orthogonal (rradically
different) approach. Here the first argument is a "tag", which
generally can not be changed except by reinstantiating the
abstraction, but not through an inlet (there are ways to change it
internally, but this, too, works different).

The rightmost in- and outlets are catch-all inlets intended for
list-like OSC-messages. The targets are actually automatically built
depending on what kind of [commun] objects are used inside the
abstraction.

Explaining this in words might seem complicated, but once you use it,
it feels very natural. On one hand it saves a lot of work and on the
other it offers a bigger flexibility than mapping inlets and arguments
one-to-one. (You could think of the OSC-inlets as a kind of macro.)

For example I can add a new "thing" to set remotely just by creating a
[commun /thing $0] object inside an abstraction. Nothing more and no
inlets are necessary to make this "/thing" read- and settable through
the OSC-in/outlet.

Ciao