[PD] dealing with arguments and inlets

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Sat Feb 4 22:12:06 CET 2006

On Sat, 4 Feb 2006, IOhannes m zmoelnig wrote:

> arguments to an object are always data for this object (even though they might
> influence the way the object handles other data), therefore they cannot be non
> list-lists.

Yes. If a list has to be broken down into single elements, it should be as
"atom messages", that is, in a form castable to 1-element list-lists.

> i think most bad things with nonlistlike messages arise from the use of
> the selector as _data_. (and sometimes messages become nonlistlike
> messages (by the use of say [route]) just to simple)

In other words, [route] is consistent with messageboxes' list shortcut (of
not having to write "list" if the message starts with a float) and it is
so by not being consistent with Pd's internals. That something as basic as
[route] behaves in such a way is misleading about Pd's messaging model and
is source of confusion.

I suggest that a new [list route] object be created that would do like
[route] except that it wouldn't accept nonlistlike messages and would
always route according to $1 and not according to sometimes the $1 and
sometimes the selector.

> the only reason to not use [list] is compatibility with older pd
> versions (but i also advise to use pd-0.39)

Yes. Backwards compatibility is nice, but it makes a lot more sense to pay
attention to backwards compatibility when there is a solid base of
features such that new features aren't so compelling that one wants to
depend on them.