[PD] dealing with arguments and inlets

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sun Feb 5 18:40:29 CET 2006

Hallo,

> Ok, I'm convinced on that point, [list_argument] should use list.  I
> support backwards compatibility only if it doesn't affect forward
> compatibility.  My concern is that since [list] is new an untested,

Objection, judge! ;) It isn't untested: At least in my patches I use
it all the time since it first appeared in Pd. It never crashed Pd, it
always does, what it is supposed to do and I use it a lot more often
than I use for example [symbol]. Plus: the [list]-abs collection could
be seen as a comprehensive test-suite just for [list], which is
something, many other objects don't have yet.

> But I still think that [any_argument] that outputs a non-symbol is
> useful too.

But that's easy to achieve using [list trim], if needed. Of course one
could make another abstraction which includes this, like
[any|list_argument_trimmed] but I really don't see this as a necessity.

Ciao