[PD] compile on ubuntu (again)

david golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Sun Feb 5 22:48:36 CET 2006

Hello everyone!

Sorry to be a drag here, but I've been scratching my head on this for
several days now.  I'm trying to coordinate pd, alsa, and jack on ubuntu
(actually demudi multimedia kernel 2.6.12 in ubuntu) and I've got a number
of symptoms here, but I've not been able to diagnose what's going on:

- not getting any sound from pd; pd doesn't recognize any devices
- pd's Media menu lists 'OSS', 'ALSA', and 'Jack'
- compiled pd 0.39-2 with --enable-alsa --enable-jack
- alsa seems to be installed fine, alsamixer works, cds play in alsaplayer
- qjackctl will not connect to jack server as client - but jack appears to
start fine (?):

13:44:26.950 JACK was started with PID=6255 (0x186f).
jackd 0.100.9
Copyright 2001-2005 Paul Davis and others.
jackd comes with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY
apparent rate = 48000
creating alsa driver ... hw:0|hw:0|1024|2|48000|2|2|nomon|swmeter|-|32bit
control device hw:0
configuring for 48000Hz, period = 1024 frames, buffer = 2 periods
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 32bit sample format so JACK will
try a 24bit format instead
Note: audio device hw:0 doesn't support a 24bit sample format so JACK will
try a 16bit format instead
nperiods = 2 for capture
nperiods = 2 for playback
13:44:29.002 Could not connect to JACK server as client.
13:44:31.629 JACK is stopping...

So I was wondering, anyone have any pointers here?  I'm stumped.

Thanks,

David