[PD] compile on ubuntu (again)

david golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Mon Feb 6 08:19:49 CET 2006

Yes, XMMS is working fine.  Actually, I'm not getting any sound from
Alsaplayer, though XMMS is supposedly using the XMMS-JACK driver.  The
output I pasted is from qjackctl with verbose turned on, though when I run
jackd I get the same output.  I've tried messing around with various Jack
settings, but nothing seems to make any difference.  What's puzzling is that
it appears to be working until it says "Could not connect to JACK server as
client".  Could it have something to do with Alsa not being configured
properly?

I'm sure this is typical of the Linux world, but there seems to be a lot of
obsolete information that comes up on Google searches.  It would be nice if
things came down after a few years... for instance, the mini Alsa HOWTO
posted on the alsa wiki site alsa.opensrc.org is from 1999... I think
probably a lot has changed in the last 7 years!  I would like to contribute
some time to keeping these things up to date, but I don't feel that I have
the expertise just yet.  Certainly once I can reimage a low-latency machine
with jack & alsa working right away I'm going to be paying back for all the
help I've received over the years!