[PD] dvb-s card and Gem separator pb

Christian Klippel ck at mamalala.de
Mon Feb 6 20:47:40 CET 2006

hi all,

Am Dienstag 31 Januar 2006 16:25 schrieb august:

[...snip...]

> If you have a decent card with hardware MPEG2 decoding, you will have an
> extra device there.  If you have an el cheapo card like I do, without
> hardware decoding, you just get the mpeg2 stream under
>  /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0
>
> The first device I mentioned that is the decodec MPEG2 stream should be
> able to be opened like a v4l device (not sure about this though).  The

yes. the full featured (ff) dvb-s cards directly use the video interface of
linux, and thus you can watch it with xawtv, etc ....

without that, you need to decode the transport stream first.

in any case, you need a backend to control your dvb card, i.e. switch
channels, select the propper sub-streams, etc....

i highly recommend you to install vdr:

http://www.cadsoft.de/vdr/

also see here:
http://www.vdr-wiki.de/wiki/index.php/Hauptseite

i use it for my own ff card, and im very happy with it, especially if you have
it extended with pluging & patched it to look nice ;-)
furthermore, you can control vdr via a network connection, so you can have
full controll in pd over vdr, in theory ...

in case of a full featured card, also make sure that you have an actual
firmware installed....

see http://www.linuxtv.org/

greets,

chris