[PD] Hidden Markov Models

David Plans Casal main at davidcasal.com
Thu Feb 9 22:07:54 CET 2006

Hey Bryan,

On 9 Feb 2006, at 09:13, Bryan Jurish wrote:

> I haven't implemented Baum-Welch, but there is a Viterbi
> implementation
> in the [gfsm] library (which has Pd wrappers), although I haven't
> ported
> the Viterbi stuff to Pd yet, since it's still pretty new.

Do you mean the Viterbi stuff is not in moocow/gfsm?

Could I use the gfsm perl bindings you made?

> In general,
> HMMs can be represented as finite state machines (a la gfsm), but
> if you
> really want a "pure" HMM (all transitions with nonzero probability),
> using an FSM would be a waste of memory.

I need to use an HMM-like algorithm to train audio classifiers.
Essentially, I need to spot things like presence or absence of human
voice, 'genre' (production specific), etc. I'll be using MPEG7
descriptions (features extracted using an mpeg7 encoder) in XML.

Do you think Viterbi could work for this case?

Advice welcome.

> ... and the pd wrappers are on sf-cvs in externals/moocow/gfsm

> marmosets,

hey you're the original marmosets signature guy, ain't ya?

or was that yves d...hm

David Plans Casal
Researcher, UEA Studios
d.casal at uea dot ac dot uk