[PD] can't load pdp library in Pd-0.38.4-extended

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Mon Feb 13 20:16:31 CET 2006

hi claire,

On Feb 13, 2006, at 12:47 PM, clairex wrote:

> i'm a complete beginner.

...welcome!  As a first suggestion, you might want to check the list
archives before posting:  you can access them from the link
before...in this case, this is a well known problem, with no good
answer yet:

> I've just installed
> Pd-0.38.4-extended on a G4 laptop with Mac OS X 4.4. i
> placed 'org.puredata.pd.plist' in
> ~/Library/Preferences.
>
> When i open Pd it says:
>
> "/Applications/Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC8.app/Contents/Resources/
> Scripts/../extra/pdp.pd_darwin:
> dlopen(/Applications/Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC8.app/Contents/Resources/
> Scripts/../extra/pdp.pd_darwin,
> 10): Symbol not found: _gluOrtho2D
>   Referenced from:
> /Applications/Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC8.app/Contents/Resources/
> Scripts/../extra/pdp.pd_darwin
>   Expected in: /usr/X11R6/lib/libGL.1.dylib"

...there is really only a kludge-y way to fix this, and that is to
get the pdp.pd_darwin in the extended-RC5 release and replace the one
in RC8 with it...

...aside to Hans:  if I remember correctly, you are just building
from the pdp in externals?  I just got around to comparing it with
the pdp-0.12.4 that I had compiled, and it seems there are some
header differences:  I'll try to build both again and see if that
makes a difference here...certainly "otool -L pdp.pd_darwin" doesn't
provide any illumination...

> Then it says it can't open the pdp library and also:
> "pdp_text : severe error : could not load default font
> : no rendering !!!"

...check the archives for a fix: this is not fatal, but means that
one or two pidip objects won't work...

> I downloaded X11 from apple but it refused to install.
> Could this have anything to do with a partitioned hard
> drive?

...well, I imagine that the x11 would need to be installed on the
partition that has the osx system files, and would probably refuse to
install elsewhere...

> Could somebody kindly tell me what i can do about
> this?

...was that kind enough?  ;-)

james