[PD] GEM questions

David Powers cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com
Wed Feb 15 23:27:43 CET 2006

Hello everyone,

I am working with GEM on a Windows XP, using Hans' extended release.
This Saturday, some guys from Perlon record label will be here, and I am
going to do some visuals. I have some stuff made in a program called
Visual Jockey that I can use, but I would really like to do some stuff
in Gem. So, I have these questions:

a) What known issues are there, that might make patches crash, that
would be best to avoid using in patches? GEM does crash more than PD! As
far as I know, I'm probably best off NOT using any movie clips, as
CPU also (both AVI and QUICKTIME as far as I can tell)...

b) Does anyone have advice on organizing patches and rendering chains
for a show? This is the hard part for me, I can get individual rendering
chains that look cool, but I'm worried about organizing and switching in
some kind of meta-patch. Is it better to have one big patch with sub
patches, or to open seperate patches at once?

c) On a related note, I notice that effects I might put in the render
chain don't have ON/OFF, there is just ON/OFF for entire rendering
chain. So, suppose I have a pix_multiimage that I want to run through a
couple of different effects - not simultaneously. Is the best strategy
to just have the same pix_multiimate in two different rendering chains,
with a selection interface?

Thanks,
David