[PD] PDP video capture on OSX

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Thu Feb 16 15:41:14 CET 2006

On Feb 16, 2006, at 12:59 AM, sawilson1 wrote:

> I'm trying to capture video with PDP on a Mac. The list of
> available objects
> only offers pdp_v4l and pdp_qt.
> Is there anyway to use a web cam to pick up live video? I'm running
> RC7 on OSX
> 10.4.4 with a Logitech
> QuickCam 4000 Pro.

...pidip has [pdp_ieee1394] for fw cameras (although come to think of
it, it's basically the same code as gem's [pix_video], which can also
use usb cameras):  however I caution against it, because it tries to
run the quicktime sequence grabber's idle function in a seperate
thread, which is a no-no, and causes strange cpu surges if you try to
pause or stop the capture...hopefully we can figure out someway
around this in the future...

...otoh, I always use Gem's [pix_video] into [pix_2pdp], which works
very nicely (color conversion is altivec'ed, too)...you can also
bring it back to gem for display on a geo with [pdp2gem]...both of
these objects are in pd-extended, along with help files...

james