[PD] Metro unstable osx

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Thu Feb 16 17:47:30 CET 2006

hey timon,

On Feb 16, 2006, at 9:18 AM, timon wrote:
> Hi, I have this weird problem.
> Ive been trying various installers over the last years. On all of
> them the metro is unstable. Im routing pd-midi into reason, and the
> sound from reason into live. I know mentioning reason on this list
> is like swearing in church, but thats what I do. And the metro
> stutters irregularly.
>
> Now, the only version of pd that runs a stable metro is a 2 year
> old one (think it was HC's installer), the kind that reside in the
> usr directory, and launched through terminal. Can anyone give me
> some kind of explanation to this (other than to do with reason)?
> And is there a fix for it?

...y'know, chris has been complaining about this for awhile, but I've
not seen it...of course I should point out that I don't use much of
the audio/midi side of pd, and only stick to visual processing, which
seems to deal with large grained timescales where a hiccup in metro
wouldn't be noticeable...

...do you have a small example patch that shows the problem?  Are you
running the audio engine when you see the problem?  I seem to
remember some problem with pd's timing that was solved by leaving the
audio processing on, even if you aren't using it...

...it could also be a portmidi problem, too:  suffice to say, I think
we should solve this ASAP ;-)

james