OSX slow GUI [WAS: Re: [PD] Metro unstable osx]

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Feb 17 18:33:42 CET 2006

Hi Chris,

chris clepper wrote:
> On 2/17/06, derek holzer <derek at x-i.net> wrote:
>> It
>> actually can slow down or jam up my entire OSX desktop as well, which is
>> an even bigger bummer. Sometimes this effect lasts even after quitting
>> PD, requiring a restart.
>
> This is most likely due to the elevated pthread priority hack Pd uses
> on OSX.  Setting the -nrt flag should bypass that, but it should
> probably be removed altogether.

OK, that's interesting. I'll see if -nrt speeds up the GUI too. I'm used
to RT stuff on Linux, so I wonder will using -nrt affect audio
performance in terms of dropouts and the like?

> The effect lasting after Pd sounds like the Pd process is not killed
> after the Wish GUI quits.  There is nothing Pd can do while it's not
> running to affect the OS.

This is also what I thought. But without a responsive desktop and with
no way to exit to console on OSX, there's no way to catch the runaway
process and kill it. Too bad...

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl