[PD] Live Looping and Sampling

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Fri Feb 17 20:08:19 CET 2006

Hi Martin,

Martin Dupras wrote:
> I'm trying to build a patch to sample and loop live input. Basically I
> want to be able to punch into the loop and out and record continuously.

For this you might really want to investigate Jesse Chappel's
SooperLooper application. It's an emulation of the Oberheim digital
Echoplex, and does great work for looping, overdubbing, loop
quantization and all kinds of other tricks.

> Can anyone suggest a workable approach? Or even better, point to an
> example patch?

You are welcome to test drive my Looper abstraction, which is attached.
It's an upcoming release, and allows you to capture a loop and play it
back or granulate it. It doesn't do overdubs, which is what I gather you
are after. But maybe some of the mechanics would be interesting for you.

Abstractions:

1) looper.pd
2) loopreader.pd
3) random_range.pd

Looper usage: [looper /uniquename keyname1 keyname2]

keyname1 = key to toggle looper on/off
keyname2 = key to toggle grainer on/off

I usually use it with [hid] and a footswitch, but it takes simply 0/127
to trigger recording. Have fun!
d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl