[PD] PD not listening to midi input

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Sat Feb 18 11:59:44 CET 2006

Hallo,
John Harrison hat gesagt: // John Harrison wrote:

> I'm anxious for a reply to this because I am also using ubuntu Breezy
> and I am having the same problem. I tried Steiner's
> Pd-0.38.4-extended-RC7 and suddenly the MIDI worked!...but I need JACK
> support and RC7 doesn't have that...so I thought I'd build my own Pd,
> figuring some necessary compiling option was missing in the ubuntu
> Breezy binary...but I can't figure out what that option that is missing
> is...and my own builds of Pd aren't working with MIDI either.
>
> I am trying to compile Pd v0.38.4 to keep everything compatible...

I think you should be able to use the ALSA sequencer instead. At least
in pd-0.39 the respective patch is in. With that, just start Pd with
"pd -alsamidi" or use the Media-menu. Qith qjackctl or similar you can
then connect midi ports as you like.

Normally Pd should try to open /dev/midi1 if you start it with "pd
-mididev 2", so if this doesn't work, then there's a bug somewhere.

Ciao