[PD] "wrong" floating point values in pyext

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Mon Feb 20 18:01:57 CET 2006

Hallo,
geiger hat gesagt: // geiger wrote:

> Yes, thats what I meant. I have seen this "mistake" happen several times,
> the bad thing is that I think it is not easy to handle it from within Pd,
> as the error depends on the numbers you sum up, so you can't change select
> to react on a range instead of a specific number. It is said to be bad to
> test for equality with floating point numbers, and here is why. The
> best thing is to design your counters the way day5 does it, but it is
> something you have to know, otherwise you really get bad surprises.

I think, [select] should be avoided generally to end a counter. It
carries too many assumptions about the counter value, that could turn
out false. What if I [select]-wait for 16, and then later add a [mod
16] inside? 16 will never be reached. What if I count only even
numbers and try to end the counter with 99? 99 will never bit hit.
Etc. usw.

In C or similar programming languages, you never see loops made like
this:

for (i=0, i != 99, i++) ...

Instead real loops walk this way:

for (i=0, i < 100, i++) ...

Using [select] in a counter is an accident waiting to happen.
Unfortunatly it is taught in 2.control.examples/06.more.counters.pd :(

Ciao