[PD] GEM: "up" parameter in view message

IOhannes m zmoelnig zmoelnig at iem.at
Wed Feb 22 16:41:47 CET 2006

Piotr Majdak wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I wonder what is the "up" vector in [view( for [gemwin]? It looks like a
> vector normal to the upper plane of the camera, but I'm not sure about
> that (this info can be derived from vectors view and target as well)...
> Can someone help?

well, the "up" vector shows you what is "up" in the view.

imagine you have the camera at 0,0,0 and an object at 1,0,0
if you want to rotate the camera along the (1,0,0) axis, you have to
define where the up-direction is (there is no such thing as gravity in
Gem-space)

if you turn your head by 90° around your nose-axis, your up-vector will
turn from (0,1,0) to (1,0,0)

i hope this is clear (it is rather simple, but i don't know how to
explain it well)

mfg.asdr.
IOhannes