[Pd] Other synthesis methods

Hans-Christoph Steiner hans at eds.org
Sun Feb 26 01:50:10 CET 2006

On Feb 24, 2006, at 10:11 PM, derek holzer wrote:

> cyborgk at nocturnalnoize.com wrote:
>
>>  I'd kill for some externals/abstractions that have anti-aliased,
>> analog sounding
>> square and sawtooth waves, for instance...
>
> It's hard to beat the Reaktor sound engine in terms of filters and
> oscillators. I've given up trying to get a filter in PD which
> sounds really like it should in musical/synthesis terms. I think
> all the filter objects have been designed with mathematics in mind
> rather than sound. There's also strange inconsistencies between the
> different libraries as to how the resonance/Q works, for example.
>
> As for oscillators, you could try the [blosc] object in the Creb
> library, but I've never used it. My choice has been to run the
> [plugin~] object with the BLOP LADSPA plugins. These are amazing-
> sounding bandpass-limited oscillators which do square, saw and
> pulse-width-modulated rectangular and triangular waveforms. Very
> fat, very analog-sounding. Most LADSPA stuff compiles on OSX, BTW,
> but windows folks are still left out.

I didn't know that LADSPA worked on Mac OS X, that would be good to
have in Pd-extended.  Any volunteers?  Also, with MinGW, you might
just get LADSPA working on Windows.  For example, about half of /
externals/ compiled with MSVC.  I think all except [shell] compiled
with MinGW.

____

"Terrorism is not an enemy.  It cannot be defeated.  It's a tactic.
expect we're going to win that war.  We're not going to win the war
on terrorism."
                                     - retired U.S. Army general,
William Odom