[PD] RE: OT dual booting OSX/unbuntu

Patrick Valiquet p.valiquet at gmail.com
Wed Mar 1 23:15:36 CET 2006

Hey:

>This could be useful to look at
>http://ubuntustudio.com/wiki/index.php/Welcome%2C_Musicians%21

Yup, check that site out. I have Ubuntu breezy and OSX running on my
powerbook and was able to follow the instructions at the
ubuntustudio.com site to get a nice low-latency kernel and good pd
performance. Only problem from a newbie perspective was the fact that
it did require patching and compiling the kernel, but the instructions
would probably be pretty clear to anyone with a reasonable grasp of
the command-line.

The audio performance is excellent... PD runs about twice as fast as
it does on OSX. The only hardware problem is that the built-in
microphone is not recognized (which I don't really consider that big
of a problem ;-) )

Warning: Gem and pdp will be most likely be extremely slow on any ppc
linux. AFAIK ATI's proprietary drivers do not support any of their
apple video cards. Perhaps someone knows of a work-around but I just
stick to OSX for video work.

>However have you considered using http://www.demudi.org/ ?

unfortunately demudi is x86 only.