[Pd] JI Sequencer

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Thu Mar 2 00:44:47 CET 2006

I'm going to put this out for people to try.  It is a microtonal just
intonation sequencer, that does not use scales or any set of notes from
which to choose.
I apologize ahead of time for bugs and parts that are hard to understand.  I
designed it for my own use, so some things may not be intuitive.  I moved
the main sound engine from the individual voice modules to the main patch,
so there would only be one instead of 8.  It is only active when changes are
made to one of the 8 voices.

So you should put all the files in a folder, then run JI.pd.  Type in
"badcheese" into the File symbol box on the upper right, and hit Load.  Open
pd score if it's not open.  If you press PLAY or, in Windows, Ctrl-i, it
should playback.  If you open "biggiantworms" in the same way, you have to
assign the presets first; click the vertical radio box next to the green
square and press the 4th radio box under "preset assignment"; click the box
next to the gold and click the 3rd preset assignment box.  Purple= 2nd
preset, gray= 1st preset.
You can open pd mixer and adjust the volumes and pans of the voices.  Each
channel also has a very primitive compressor with which I'm not yet
satisfied, that you can access by opening the channels on the upper right of
the mixer.

I'll gladly answer questions, though I suspect it might make more sense for
me to write up instructions, because there will probably be lots of things
that don't make sense.  But I'm going to be late for rehearsal, and thanks
to a problem I'm having I wasn't able to prepare the piece I'm supposed to
bring:

My transpose button changes all the ratios of the notes to a different tonal
center.
1. Open Bad Cheese.
2. Press "Beginning" under "EDIT THE SCORE."  The leftmost note should turn
red.
3. Press "Next Note" until some note that isn't 1/1 is highlighted.
4. Press "TRANSPOSE TO SELECTED" to the right of "EDIT THE SCORE."

All the notes should change to show their relationship to the note you
highlighted, which should become 1/1.  You can step to the next note and do
it again.  This way you can sequence simple figures without doing all the
math.  Hit "RESET TO 1/1" to return to default (1/1 = middle C =
261.something).

Now for some reason, if you open Big Giant Worms and try the same thing, it
gets overflow errors before converting the entire score.  I went through a
hell of a time getting this to not happen before, but now it is again.
Check out "JInext".  It is designed to simply skip past everything in the
score that isn't a note, and pause occasionally to let the system catch up.
But Find Error says this is where the overflow is coming from.  After this,
half my score is transposed and half isn't, so it is useless to save it.
Can anyone suggest a surefire method to keep this from ever happening no
matter how long my scores get?

Thanks.
-Chuckk