[PD] cubic spline interpolation

Mathieu Bouchard matju at artengine.ca
Fri Mar 3 04:08:36 CET 2006

On Thu, 2 Mar 2006, Robert Scott wrote:

> Have you looked at tabread4~ ? From its description as a '4 point
> interpolation', I've always assumed it to be a cubic bezier spline.

It's a cubic but not a Bézier: a Bézier would use 2 points plus the
derivatives at those points. To identify a cubic you always need to get 4
values but they don't have to be points. When all you have is points and
not derivatives, the best you can do is get 4 points and do some kind of
non-Bézier cubic with it. Conversely, when you have 4 points you can
always build a cubic with it.