[Pd] MIDI file anatomy

Chuckk Hubbard badmuthahubbard at gmail.com
Fri Mar 3 05:08:51 CET 2006

Interesting, hexidecimal.  I opened a midi file in a text editor and of
course couldn't read it.  I have no problem with hexidecimal, but obviously
I couldn't just write the file using PD's text feature.  Does PD do hex?  I
know nothing about that.

I have it configured now for live control, I can control anything BUT
Reason.
Scala uses pitch bends when creating MIDI files.  Sonar sucks at handling
these, it bends the notes after starting them.  Other programs seem to have
no problem.
I have it set up simply, it just assigns tracks 1-16 not including 10 to
each note and sends the pitch bend right before the note-on.  I want to make
a way for it to skip the channels of active notes, so I can use pedal points
and not change their tuning halfway.

Here's an updated copy of my program.  The MIDI control is spread between
[pd playback] and [pd commonnoteassign].
One thing I forgot to do was set dsp to 0 when using MIDI.  I imagine that
will save lots of CPU.

-Chuckk

--
"It is not when truth is dirty, but when it is shallow, that the lover of
knowledge is reluctant to step into its waters."