[PD] hid and "unusual" device names

B. Bogart ben at ekran.org
Fri Mar 3 17:04:43 CET 2006

Hey Hans,

So my magictouch touchscreen does have a device file created, but it is
not a /dev/input/event file, but is rather a /dev/usb/hiddev0 file.

So I'm not sure how the HID stuff related to the input device stuff, but
it looks like the touchscreen is HID, but not linux event.

Anyhow I tried making a symlink from /dev/input/event3 to /dev/usb/hiddev0
but that just crashes PD. I guess since HID is expecting linux input
formatted data, not raw HID data.

What can I do to get this to work? I want to use HID and not the X windows
driver, since i don't want the installation to interfere with the mouse.

Do I have to wait for [hid] proper (rawhid) or is there anything I can do
to make this hid device compatible with the linux input system?!?!?!

Thanks.
B.