[PD] Couldn't Create sndfiler thread: 1?

cdr ix at replic.net
Sun Mar 5 20:18:22 CET 2006

On Sun Mar 05, 2006 at 12:20:18AM -0500, Spencer Russell wrote:
> Hey there,
> I'm working with some patches with lots of samples, and as the RAM on
> my machine is pretty limited, it would be nice to be able to load and
> unload samples without the horrific dropouts I've been getting. I'm
> having some trouble getting any sort of threaded soundfiler to work,
> however. pd 0.39-devel doesn't want to compile on my machine, so I'm
> trying with CVS main(0.40). I got threadlib and sndfiler to compile
> and install just fine, but when I try to create a [sndfiler] object, I
> get "Couldn't create sndfiler thread:1" in the pd messages. Any ideas
> on how to fix this?

sndfiler needs pd devel. choose your own adventure:

1) get pd devel to compile
2) bug the MAIN developer to consider adding threaded soundfiler
3) buy Max/MSP
4) use PD/MSP and sfread~/readsf~ to load files into arrays
5) use soundfiler and live with the dropouts
6) make your patch send OSC to something that is better equipped to play audio, like Sooperlooper, or Chuck