[PD] Couldn't Create sndfiler thread: 1?

derek holzer derek at x-i.net
Mon Mar 6 05:53:28 CET 2006

Hey kids,

cdr wrote:

> 6) make your patch send OSC to something that is better equipped to play audio, like Sooperlooper, or Chuck

I can't say enough good stuff about SooperLooper. It's really a model
application on three important fronts.

First off, it's a fantastic app for loading and/or capturing sound,
looping it, overdubbing it and many other useful realtime functions, at
a very low cost in terms of CPU.

Secondly, it separates the GUI and sound engine threads completely (they
are separate process launched independently of each other), which
contributes positively to its performance, functionality and extendability.

And lastly, it has one of the best--and best DOCUMENTED--uses of OSC
that I've come across. I played around building a couple different
interfaces for it in PD, mostly involving HID and a set of sustain
pedals plugged into a hacked USB joystick. It was a breeze not only send
OSC commands to SooperLooper from my footswitches, but also to get
current data such as loop length and position back from SooperLooper
into PD. Really a first-class program.

What's missing from SooperLooper is the ability to do any kind of fancy
playback-based time domain effects, however. It does seek and you can
slow down or speed up the playback rate from 50% to 200% or so, but it
doesn't do that fast enough to be able to seek or change rates quickly
without audible artifacts. I wrote with the author, Jesse Chappell,
about this a few times, but these kind of capabilities weren't really on
his development plan. But if you need something for realtime loop
capturing, playback or overdubbing you'd be well-advised to check it out.

d.

--
derek holzer ::: http://www.umatic.nl
---Oblique Strategy # 112: