[PD] GUI-Edit Abstraction

João Miguel Pais jmmmpais at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 6 11:05:39 CET 2006

> Seeing this patch makes me want some kind of menu bar
> visible all the time (though closeable as well), along
> the top or side of the screen, showing the properties
> of the currently selected object, i think it would
> make editing much faster

I don't see why it would be helpful, for the following reasons:
- if the information is already in the window, I guess it wouldn't make
much sense to repeat it again on top. it will just take space, a bit
unecessarily, I guess. redundancy isn't that efficient

- I was interested in only using standard objects, and no abstractions, to
make this utility as portable as possible. such a menu could be created
with a group of canvases+radios beneath it. but it seems to me too fiddly
and complicated to make compared to its benefits (I'm no programmer, can't
do tcl/tk)

- it's not possible to query the current state of an object. that means,
you cannot send/receive any messages asking how wide a slider is, etc.
that's why it isn't already there. As I explain, it makes it a bit weirder
in the beggining. unfortunately the only thing that is possible to query
is the current position of a canvas.
Anyone interested in changing this? I mean, if tcl/tk can get the current
properties of objects, for sure a pd message would as well.