[PD] pyext object -> text editor

vincent rioux vincent.rioux at no-log.org
Wed Mar 8 09:09:15 CET 2006

hi Thomas, hi list,

I was wondering if it could be possible to launch a text editor when
double-clicking on a pyext object?
I must admit i have no idea how complicated it can be but i think it
could be a nice way to simplify first approach to this wonderful
extension (for building tutorials e.g.). It could also be useful for
debugging purpose or when revising old patches.

As text editors for Python, which supports syntax coloring/highlighting
and indentation i can think of:
- scite (scintilla) : light and straightforward (linux and windows)
- subethaedit : osx
- emacs/emacsclient  :  best in my opinion but learning curve is tough.
- vim or cream : i don't use them so i can't tell.

there are plenty listed at:
http://wiki.python.org/moin/PythonEditors
may be it would be best if we could simply integrate a simple editor
written in tcl/tk.

it might be interesting for other scripting languages too, like ruby.

best regards,
vincent