[PD] playback pix_film Gem stutters

james tittle tigital at mac.com
Wed Mar 8 16:49:17 CET 2006

hey sara,

On Mar 6, 2006, at 12:42 AM, sara kolster wrote:
>> ...since you've tried these things and they don't help, I'm
>> inclined to believe there's something special about this clip:  is
>> it an edited clip from a longer sequence?  I ask this because it
>> could be that the last frame is somehow doubled/repeated, but
>> there may be a loop point which quicktime player sees and obeys,
>> but gem simply ignores...
> It's not one clip, all clips [quicktime/photo-jpg codec] don't play
> properly. As I wrote before, Gem is able to play the 'loop' while
> in [auto $1 (lft inlet of pix_film] mode, but its playback
> stutters. Using the left inlet of pix_film gives me a smooth
> playback but a stuttering last frame.

...hmm:  all I can say is that I don't see anything like this with my
clips, so I've uploaded a copy of the latest gem cvs compile to my
website, maybe that'll work?

http://www.tigital.com

>> ...my experience with pdp_qt has been spotty on osx, mainly being
>> a matter of finding a codec that actually gets recognized
>> correctly...it's been awhile since I really played with it, but I
>> seem to remember either cinepak or sorenson consistently doing
>> pretty well...?
> It has been a while for me too. But I believe that the codec
> quicktime/photojpg was recommended.

...unfortunately not all compressor programs make the same kind of
file:  it's very easy to think you're compressing as one thing, only
to have it be another...I've been bitten with this, and in practice
have found I just need to keep fiddling with parameters in order to
find something that works as expected in [pdp_qt]...

good luck,
jamie