[PD] Re: stability of Gem for video playing

list-pd at robmunro.net list-pd at robmunro.net
Wed Mar 8 17:41:38 CET 2006

I have been using GEM on windows for a while now and had crash problems a while back but i have settled on the follwing process and i havent had any crashes lately. its not the best way, just the way that work for me.

1. using GEM 0.87 (no qt!)
2. encode video to avi  (using virtualdub) with cinepack (400x300) (not a great codec, i know) - because i want position control of the video i encode the video with a keyframe every 1 frame.
3. dimensions of the video should match standard aspect ratio. and be a multiple of 4.

I found that the larger the dimensions the more likely a crash (not sure if its bit rate related or something else) but i am using [pix_delay] in my patch and found if i took that out vids that did crash - didnt crash after removing the [pix-delay]. And using video with different codecs seemd to make more crashes so i encoded all my video to one codec (cinepack).

rm.