[PD] IP camera and Gem

oli44 oli44 at manga-burgah.net
Mon Mar 13 09:16:21 CET 2006

 Hello list,

I've been browsing the list archives for this topic but it didnt turn
out to be positive.

I plan to acquire a brand new PTZ Sony SNC-RZ30P network camera. This
camera has a web/ftp/smtp server that may send either stills (JPEG) or
videostreams (MJPEG and MPEG4). As usual, this stream is either viewable
through a Sony proprietary Windoze program or in your browser in an
astonishing standard way ( I got a demo account from a retailer and I
managed to get it working in Firefox/debian, apparently it's plain RTSP,
the only non-working stuff were the VISCA commands).

Do you know of any object , possibly in GEM , that may capture it full
frame (640x480 at 25fps) (pix_video??)

I'd really love to get it working through the network, since I wouldnt
have to capture the analog through a Canopus DV bridge, and since
there's the possibility to have it work on batteries and slide in a Wifi
card in the PCMCIA slot, it would become the ideal thing for dance
performances. Plus it's got a great image quality (it's a Super HAD
ccd).

I'm in no hurry , I'm supposed to start rehearsing in September,
nevertheless I'd love to have your advice before spending my scarce €€€
in a maybe useless device

++

Olivier