[PD] Recording MIDI results in notes of infinite duration

Luke Iannini (pd) lukexipd at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 14:21:30 CET 2006

Hallo All,
I'm using Pd-ext. 0.39.2 test1 on OS 10.4.5.  I have Pd connected to
Cubase SX 3.1.1 using the IAC MIDI system of OSX.  I'm having some
trouble recording MIDI output as I'll describe below.

As a distillation of the issue, I tested using midi-help.pd's
"[Makenote] Apparatus".  Routed into Cubase and hitting "Record", I
should get Middle C notes at a velocity of 64 of a duration of 250ms
spaced 500ms apart.

Instead, upon the triggering of the first note, Cubase records a note
starting at that point and continuing until the end of the defined
length of the project.  Any notes triggered afterwards are stacked
upon this note, all starting at the exact same point.  So if I
recorded for 5s, instead of 10 notes each starting 500ms after one
another (@0s, 0.5s, 1.0s, etc.) and ending 250ms later, I get 10 notes
starting at 0s and ending at A Very Large Number.

The oddest part is the triggering of Cubase seems fine... I /hear/
exactly what I'd expect to hear when allowing PD to trigger a VSTi
through a Cubase MIDI track "live".  It's only when trying to record
that something goes very awry.

Anyone have any clues on this?
Thanks!
Luke Iannini