[PD] Recording MIDI results in notes of infinite duration

david golightly davigoli at gmail.com
Wed Mar 15 18:55:17 CET 2006

Hi Luke,

Sounds like you aren't getting any "noteoff" messages through..  Midi
notes don't have a "duration" - they only have pitch, velocity,
channel and (in some formats) start time.  Any MIDI note is on until
you get a note on the same channel with the same pitch but vel=0.  Not
sure about [makenote] but I know that [stripnote] (if you've got that
somewhere) ignores these noteoff messages.  I'd start by having pd
[print] your MIDI note stream & make sure you have a noteoff for each
corresponding note start.

Hope that helps,

David