[PD] Re: [PD-dev] We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where isOSC?!

Frank Barknecht fbar at footils.org
Thu Mar 16 00:51:05 CET 2006

Hallo,
Mathieu Bouchard hat gesagt: // Mathieu Bouchard wrote:

> On Tue, 14 Mar 2006, João Miguel Pais wrote:
>
> > I have made this patch once for lan connections (for my improvisation
> > trio). it isn't comented, but it should be helpful. I've never used SC,
> > but we did max <-> pd with no probs (osc is osc, doesn't matter what's
> > sending it). better ask in the SC list for SC examples, I presume.
>
> BTW why is the subjectline "We've got to undo the MIDI revolution!"? What
> does it mean to undo the MIDI revolution, and what does it have to do with
> switching to OSC ?

The actual question is: Why did this thread move here from pd-dev,
where it was started by the (closed) feature request #1447808 under
the title "We've got to undo the MIDI revolution! - Where is OSC?!"
Quote:

 'We've got to undo the MIDI revolution!
 Miller S. Puckette'

 This is all very well, however it seems OSC support is
 somewhat limited for Windows systems, insofar as I
 cannot find anywhere to download OSC externals for
 windows...the link from the main page has been down
 for some months now.

I think, OSC was first specified in 2002. Pd already had netsend and
netreceive at that time, both were introduced five years earlier.
Looking at it that way the Midi Revolution was undone by FUDI in 1997.

Ciao