[PD] video latency with webcams

John Harrison john.harrison at wichita.edu
Thu Mar 16 07:33:08 CET 2006

This may be slightly off-topic. We have 4 Logitech Pro 4000 webcams
processed through PiDiP on ubuntu 6.04. There is a latency (less than 1
second?) between the live action and the video as shown by the webcams.
The number of webcams connected doesn't affect the latency. The latency
is not cause by  PiDiP since the same latency is present when using the
webcams with any application, such as VLC.

My experience with webcams is basically limited to just this Linux
system with these webcams. Is this latency normal? Is it avoidable?
Would I experience this latency on any OS and with all webcams and
distros? Is the USB2 part of it i.e. would there be less latency with
firewire? Would a patched real-time kernel make any difference, or are
the differences from patched kernels mostly about sound? Is the latency
coming from the webcam itself, video for Linux, or the pwc driver for
the webcam?

Related: I have been under the impression that running realtime-lsm and
realtime scheduling for JACK would pretty much minimize the latency for
sound. However, I've been wondering if a patched kernel would have
further benefits. If anybody has advice for me on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks,

-John