[PD] video latency with webcams

geiger geiger at xdv.org
Thu Mar 16 08:16:41 CET 2006

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006, John Harrison wrote:
> Related: I have been under the impression that running realtime-lsm and
> realtime scheduling for JACK would pretty much minimize the latency for
> sound. However, I've been wondering if a patched kernel would have
> further benefits. If anybody has advice for me on this, I'd appreciate it.

The patched kernel will help you in avoiding dropouts in sound (xruns is
what they are called in JACK). It won't help you to get lower latency per
se, but it might help if you get these dropouts at low latency settings.

The camera problem sounds weird, could be caused by poor lighting
conditions, or there is a problem with the camera. We have used
webcams under all systems for the reacTable and latency was good.

Guenter